Ethics and values
All our lawyers and employees hold a high ethical standard. Our promise to clients and collaborating parties is that we always behave just, honest and open.
We have internal ethical guidelines that goes further than the requirements from The Norwegian Bar Association. Our employees and partners are subject to strict rules for investments. In addition we have a strict procedure to enter into, execute and close an assignment. There should never be any doubt to our loyalty, integrity and independence.
The ethical aspects of accepting an assignment and the way it is executed are evaluated on four different levels:
- The responsible lawyer makes a first assessment,
- then it is appraised by the Head of Industry segment.
- If there are any doubts, the matter goes to the Managing Partner and if found necessary
- to the Ethics- and conflict partner.
This ensures that The Norwegian Bar Association's- and the firm's own ethical rules and regulations are followed. All employees and partners are regularly trained on these matters.
We also have a general Risk- and quality partner, Jan L. Backer, who is overlooking all our internal processes. Backer is also the firm's money laundering officer and reports directly to the board.
How we work
There will always be a responsible lawyer on all assignments, usually a partner or specialist counsel. These are authorised attorneys. With few exceptions, Wikborg Rein does not activate an attorney practising license for our senior associates and senior lawyers. These lawyers work on an assignment headed by a responsible lawyer. The responsible lawyer will be agreed from case to case.
Wikborg Rein shall be the best law firm to work in and cooperate with, and we will strive to deliver the little extra. We have four firm values that we embrace. Our values are fundamental to building a solid firm culture, and a solid firm culture is an absolute necessity to maintain our position as a leading law firm:
- We show respect and tolerance, and act responsibly towards each other, our customers, counterparts and the community around us.
- We always comply with the applicable rules of the game, act reliably, ethically and professionally in everything we do.
- We are open and honest, and keep our promises.
- We recognise each other’s expertise, share knowledge and experience across teams and offices, and develop together.
- We all take responsibility in developing our own expertise to keep ourselves at the forefront.
- We are solution-oriented and maintain high quality in everything we do.
- We are innovative, see opportunities rather than limitations, and act quickly.
- We are ambitious and determined, and work hard.
- We’re forward-leaning and take the initiative, dare to ask questions and challenge the status quo.
- Team Spirit:
- We are inclusive and play others good, show enthusiasm and generosity in collaboration with customers and all colleagues.
- We sincerely care and go to great lengths to help customers and colleagues.
- We listen actively, are curious about others’ ideas, and are inspired by diversity in thinking, expertise, experience and background.