Wikborg Rein offers full service support on legal issues arising in the renewable energy and power sectors and regularly advises on hydropower, wind power, electricity grid, district heating and other sustainable energy projects. We act for a broad range of clients in these sectors, including power companies, international investors, suppliers and contractors, lenders and other players within the power market.
We pride ourselves on our long experience within the energy sector, enabling us to provide commercial, practical and progressive advice. Wikborg Rein is ranked by clients and rating firms as a leading law firm in Norway in the renewable energy sector.
Our team of energy specialists assists in all phases of renewable energy and power projects and has particular experience in the negotiation of contracts for the development of power production and distribution. We regularly assist our clients in negotiations of contracts with turbine suppliers and other contractors. Wikborg Rein has also assisted several Norwegian and international parties with physical and financial PPAs.
Our lawyers have significant experience with all legal matters relevant to transactions and dispute resolution related to power production and distribution.
The extensive experience of our energy team, combined with Wikborg Rein's expert knowledge in most disciplines, allows us to meet the energy sector's entire need for legal services on high-value matters, including:
- Investment and project development in wind power, hydropower, district heating and power grid projects
- Licensing and regulatory framework related to power production, including questions under the Energy Act, the Waterfall Rights Act, the Watercourse Regulation Act and the Water Resources Act
- Regulatory framework for grid management and power sales, including questions under the Energy Act and other relevant regulations
- Real estate matters, including easements, water rights and real property rights
- The impact of EU regulations on the Norwegian energy sector.
- Renewable energy financing
- Power purchase agreements (PPAs)
- Development agreements, including turbine supply agreements, contracts for civil works and electrical works
- Share purchase agreements, asset purchase agreements, shareholders' agreements, joint ventures and other transaction agreements
- Taxation of the power sector