Geir Sviggum is a Partner at Wikborg Rein's Oslo office and is part of the firm's Corporate Compliance and Crisis Management practice. He is also a member of the firm's board of directors. Geir headed the firm's Shanghai office from 2008 to 2013 and was Managing Partner International with overall responsibility for Wikborg Rein's internal practice from 2012 to 2016.
Geir Sviggum's specialities are threefold:
- Compliance with a particular focus on anti-bribery and crisis management, hereunder criminal law consequences and civil disputes triggered by potential misconduct. Geir's experience spans from a role as public defender in Norwegian courts to crisis management on behalf of listed Norwegian companies following suspected misconduct, preventive advisory work for Norwegian companies and public authorities in their anti-bribery work and lecturing on anti-bribery legislation at universities in several countries;
- Dispute resolution focusing on larger disputes of international nature. Geir has significant experience from Norwegian courts as well as arbitration- and court processes in several countries;
- Advisory work to medium-sized and large Norwegian industry- and technology enterprises in their international exposure, hereunder regulatory issues, sales contracts, distribution contracts, production contracts, agent contracts and risk preventive measures. Geir further has significant experience as legal advisor to Norwegian authorities with regard to Norway's various international exposure.
During Geir’s time in China he was highlighted in local and regional rankings as among China’s "15 Rising Stars" in the legal profession for "impressive achievements" and among the 100 most influential lawyers in Asia.
Geir Sviggum is frequently used as speaker at universities, conferences and in other fora.
- 2016- Partner, Wikborg Rein, Oslo
- 2012-2016 Managing Partner International, Wikborg Rein, Shanghai/Oslo
- 2010- Partner, Wikborg Rein, Shanghai
- 2008 Resident Lawyer, Wikborg Rein, Shanghai
- 2007-2008 Senior Associate, Wikborg Rein, Bergen
- 2003-2006 Associate, Wikborg Rein, Bergen
- 1997-1998 Officer and Second in Command, Infantry Platoon/Platoon Leader, HM Royal Guards
- 1996-1997 Reserve Officer and Second in Command, Infantry Platoon, HM Royal Guards
- "Arbitration with Chinese counterparts" in Borgar H. Berg and Ola Ø. Nisja (red.), "Avtalt prosess - Voldgift i praksis" (Agreed Process - Arbitration in practice"), Universitetsforlaget 2015
- ”Access to justice”, published in the memorial volume ”Legal aid from coast to plain”, Gyldendal Academic, 2009 (in cooperation with lawyer dr. juris Line Ravlo-Losvik)
- ”Will the occurrence of health injuring radon constitute a defect in a real estate transaction?” Tidsskrift for forretningsjus (Norwegian Business Law Review), no. 2, 2007
- Model examination paper on income taxation, Injuria no. 7, 2000
- Contributions to miscellaneous articles in magazines and papers
- 2016- Member of the Board, Wikborg Rein
- 2015 "Leadership in law firms", research program, Harvard Law School
- 2005 Practising Certificate
- 2003 Cand.jur., University of Bergen
- 2002 Optional subject, International civil law, Bond University, Australia
- 1996 Officer's Training School for the Infantry Regiment of Trøndelag County