Nick Shepherd is a Partner at Wikborg Rein's London office. He specialises in shipping, energy and marine insurance work. For many years he has worked with the Greek shipping market, representing several of the leading shipping groups. Having previously lived and worked in Greece for a total of 12 years (1994-99 and 2009-16), he has developed a detailed knowledge and understanding of that market.
Shepherd has a wide experience of P&I and Defence work, specialising in Charterparty, bill of lading and COA work; MOA sale & purchase disputes; admiralty work (including collisions, groundings and total loss); shipbuilding contract review and disputes; marine insurance issues and claims; and the arrest or attachment of ships and other assets worldwide to secure or enforce claims.
In recent years his work has included more specialised work such as reviewing and advising on offshore drilling contracts; and drafting contracts for a major logistics company for the expansion of its dry bulk terminal (including throughput contracts with customers; design & procurement contracts for a terminal expansion project; transhipment and storage contracts; and river barge contracts).
Current or recent work assignments include:
- Acting for a terminal operator to enforce a 20 year 'ship or pay' throughput contract against an international mining house where the value of the contract was in excess of US$900 million.
- Acting for a drilling contractor in a US$90 million claim against an oil company following the wrongful early termination of a drilling contract.
- Acting for a shipowner in a charter guarantee claim against a large Chinese steel mill where US$70 million is in issue.
- Acting for a shipowner and their P&I Club defending a Russian dock damage claim where the Russian parties claim losses in excess of US$50 million.
- Acting for a shipowner in a US$11 million constructive total loss claim under a hull insurance policy.
- Recovering US$15 million for a tanker owner from cargo interests after the vessel was detained off Morocco for about 9 months.
- Enforcing an arbitration award for about US$70 million obtain against UAE based charterers.
- Defending substantial claims under brokerage & agency agreements in connection with two long term drilling contracts.
- Suing an international auction house in respect of two forged paintings purchased by a client at a London auction.
- Advising shipowners in respect of delivery disputes under shipbuilding contracts for three tanker newbuildings.
- Advising on numerous charterparty, contract of carriage and ship sale & purchase cases.
Work assignments of note whilst a partner at Ince & Co included:
- Leading a term at Ince & Co Piraeus representing more than 20 owners in connection with claims arising out of more than 100 bunker stems following the collapse of OW Bunker, including the lead case of The 'Res Cogitans' from arbitration hearing to appeals to the Commercial Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court within a period of 14 months.
- Drafting and advising upon a transhipment services contract with a leading international mining house for the handling of 4 – 6 million tons of iron ore per annum, and upon the contracts for the design and construction of the required purpose built terminal.
- Instructed by a leading Defence Club to work with a big four accounting firm to fully investigate and advise upon the consequences flowing from changes in tax regulations in China in 2011 and 2014.
- In 2011 acting for DryShips, Navios and other owners following Cosco's failure to make hire payments under long term time charters.
- Acting for owners (DryShips) in The 'Saldanah'  1 Lloyd's Rep. 187 where it was held that a ship held by pirates remains on-hire.
- In 2011-13 acting for owners in a claim against hull underwriters in connection with accelerated pitting corrosion damage to bottom plating & tank internals caused by sulphate reducing bacteria.
- Acting for a US drilling contractor in the defence of claims totalling US$200 million made by a shipyard under shipbuilding contracts for two deepwater drilling units.
- 2016- Partner, Wikborg Rein, London
- 1994-2016 Partner, Ince & Co, London and Piraeus offices
- 1990-1994 Solicitor, Ince & Co, London
- 1985-1990 Solicitor, Middletons, Melbourne, Australia
Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
1979-1984 Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) and Bachelor of Arts (History)