Øystein Meland is a Partner at Wikborg Rein's Bergen office and is part of the firm's Shipping Offshore practice. Meland has worked with shipping matters for more than 20 years for Norwegian and foreign clients, and have over the last years been extensively involved in competition law related to maritime transport. He was lead counsel and successfully argued an international shipping cartel case before the EC, where the case was closed in May 2008 without any sanctions.
Meland is admitted to the Norwegian Supreme Court as well as member of Wikborg Rein's Maritime law group and Competition law group. He is the manager of Bergen Shipowners Association, member of BIMCO documentary Committee and the Legal Committee of the Norwegian Shipowners' Association.
Meland drafted and negotiated the Norwegian Standard Shipbuilding Contract ("Ship 2000"), and is author of an extensive commentary on Shipbuilding Contracts based on the Norwegian Standard.
Meland is extensively used as speaker/lecturer at international conferences, and was appointed Honorary Consul to the Kingdom of Spain in 1998.
- Extensive experience in litigation, particularly in maritime law, both before the ordinary courts and in arbitration, as well handling matters before the European Commission
- Acting both for ship-owners, underwriters, shipping banks and shipbuilders
- Extensive international negotiating practice, particularly for shipbuilding and offshore contracts
- 1985- Partner, Wikborg Rein, Bergen
- 1981-1985 Lawyer, Wikborg Rein, Bergen
- 1979-1980 Associate judge Midhordland County Court
- 1977-1979 Associate, Greve, Greve, Greve & Lorentzen, Bergen
- "Shipbuilding – a commentary to the Norwegian Standard Shipbuilding Contract" - 2006
- Manager of the Bergen Shipowners' Association
- Member of BIMCO documentary Committee
- Member of legal committee Norwegian Shipowners' Association
- Legal advisor to the Norwegian Shipbuilder's Association
- Honorary Consul to the Kingdom of Spain
- Bergen Energi AS (Chairman of the Board)
- 2006 International Certified Arbitrator
- 2002 Admitted to the Norwegian Supreme Court
- 2001 Certified Mediator
- 1977 Cand. jur., University of Bergen
- 1975-1977 Assistant Lecturer, Department of Public and International Law, University of Bergen