Tormod L. Nilsen is a Partner at Wikborg Rein's Oslo office and is part of the firm's Petroleum and Energy practice. He headed the firm's Shanghai office from 2013 to 2016. Nilsen's main focus is Norwegian and foreign companies operating in the energy sector. He advises on both transactions and dispute resolution.
Nilsen is currently one of Norway's leading experts for companies with business operations and exposure to China. He has been main legal advisor on a number of projects for Norwegian companies in China within different industries (in particular energy, shipping and supply). He also has extensive experience with Chinese dispute resolution and international enforcement.
Nilsen has particular expertise with acquisition and sale of businesses and companies (M&A) - often with international parties involved. He has recently been lead legal adviser on several Chinese acquisitions of both public and private companies in Norway. He has an extensive network in China and was until recently Chairman of the Norwegian Business Association in Shanghai (elected by and among the largest Norwegian companies in China).
Nilsen regularly speaks at conferences and universities in Norway and abroad and is also on the panel of advisors and examiners at the Law Faculty of University of Bergen.
- International energy projects
- Comprehensive China experience after having lived in China for five years in the period of 2012-2016 and headed the firm's Shanghai office from 2013-2016
- Main legal advisor in several international M&A processes in Norway and China (both public and private acquisitions)
- Various corporate assignments, including establishment of Joint Ventures, sale and purchase of businesses and companies, establishment and structuring of international companies
- 2017- Partner, Wikborg Rein, Oslo
- 2016 Partner, Wikborg Rein, Shanghai
- 2013-2016 Chief Representative, Wikborg Rein, Shanghai (Partner from 1.1.2015)
- 2012-2013 Senior Associate / Senior Lawyer, Wikborg Rein, Shanghai
- 2009-2011 Associate / Senior Associate, Wikborg Rein, Oslo
- 2008-2009 Senior Advisor, The Executive Secretariat, The Royal Norwegian Ministry of Defense
- 2005-2008 Legal Advisor, The Royal Norwegian Ministry of Defense
- 2011 Practising Certificate
- 2004 Cand. jur, University of Bergen