ESG, Compliance and Risk Management
Our team specialises in ESG, compliance, and risk management, offering unique expertise in preventing, detecting and handling any breaches of legislation or other compliance and integrity breaches and issues, both in Norway and internationally.
Environmental, social and governance (ESG) management has become crucial to long-term financial gain, including to reduce risk exposure while still attracting the most desirable talent, business partners and investors. We assist our clients in achieving their ESG objectives by helping companies manage risks and opportunities related to sustainability and ethical practices.
Our work in the areas of ESG and compliance involves risk management and compliance with regulatory requirements and ethical norms, including anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, sanctions/export controls, human rights and environmental/climate law. As regulatory requirements continue to evolve and become increasingly wide-ranging, we help our clients stay ahead by advising on requirements and best practice in compliance and risk management.
- Risk assessments, gap-analysis and strategic advice
- Developing and implementing compliance programmes, including risk-based policies and procedures, setting up compliance functions and reporting lines, whistle-blowing and follow-up on reported concerns, internal control, monitoring, and training in various regulatory areas, particularly:
- Anti-money laundering
- International sanctions and trade controls
- Responsible business practices and human rights
- Sustainability, climate and environment
- Assessing existing compliance programmes in light of best practice
- Designing systems for third party management, including procedures and systems for Integrity due diligence (IDD)) and compliance advice, including in relation to mergers and acquisitions
- Conducting screening and IDD of third parties
Our ESG Alerts provide you with updates on material developments relating to environment, social and governance topics, primarily (although not exclusively) focusing on such developments in the EU and Norway.
See our other Compliance areas
Read our articles on ESG, Compliance and Risk Management
WR ESG Alert: The EU Council fails to endorse the Corporate Sustainability Due Diligence Directive, leaving the future of the Directive hanging in the balance
In this month's ESG alert, we highlight the EU Council's failure to endorse the Corporate Sustainability Due Diligence Directive and the European Parliament's efforts to combat gender-based violence, and provide an update on various environmental developments at the EU and Norwegian levels.
Shielding consumers from greenwashing and misleading environmental claims constitutes an important aspect of the European Union’s strategy to cultivate a more environmentally sustainable economy. A European Commission study in 2020 revealed that more than 50% of environmental claims within the EU were unclear or misleading, with 40% lacking substantiation.
WR ESG Alert: Key decisions by Norwegian and French courts relating to the environment and crimes against humanity
In this month's ESG alert, we describe the recent decision by France's highest court which paves the way for charges to be brought against Lafarge for complicity in crimes against humanity and a decision by Oslo District Court which invalidates three Norwegian oil and gas field permits on environmental grounds.