ESG, Compliance and Risk Management
Our team specialises in ESG, compliance, and risk management, offering unique expertise in preventing, detecting and handling any breaches of legislation or other compliance and ethical breaches both in Norway and internationally.
Environmental, social and governance (ESG) management is now crucial to long-term financial gain, it helps companies manage risks and opportunities related to sustainability and ethical practices. We assist our clients in achieving their ESG objectives and reducing risk exposure while still attracting the most desirable talent, business partners and investors.
Our work in ESG and compliance involves risk management and compliance with regulatory requirements and ethical norms, including anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, sanctions/export control, human rights and environmental/climate law. As regulatory requirements continue to evolve and become more wide reaching, we help our clients stay ahead by advising best practices in compliance and risk management.
- Risk assessments, gap-analysis and strategic advice
- Developing and implementing compliance programmes, including risk-based policies and procedures, setting up compliance functions and reporting lines, whistle-blowing and follow-up on reported concerns, internal control, monitoring, and training in various regulatory areas, particularly:Anti-corruption
- Anti-money laundering
- International sanctions and trade control
- Responsible business practices and human rights
- Sustainability, climate and environment
- Assessing existing compliance programmes in light of best practises
- Designing systems for third part management, including routines and systems for Integrity Due Diligence (IDD)) and compliance advice, including in relation to mergers and acquisitions
- Conducting screening and IDD of third parties
Our ESG Alerts provide you with updates on material developments relating to environment, social and governance topics, primarily (although not exclusively) focusing on such developments in the EU and Norway.
See our other Compliance areas
Read our articles on ESG, Compliance and Risk Management
WR ESG Alert: Carbon Border Adjustment Mechanism enters transitional phase, EU taxonomy news, proposed increase in fines for violations of the Working Environment Act
In this month's ESG alert, we highlight that the EU's Carbon Border Adjustment Mechanism has entered its transitional phase, we note the publication of various recommendations and reports calling for a more environmentally sustainable future and update on public consultations on proposed legislative amendments to the Working Environment Act and the Lawyers Act. We also provide an update on the EU taxonomy and mention Europol's Financial and Economic Crime Threat Assessment.
We are pleased to announce the launch of our monthly ESG alert service, where we will provide updates on topics of relevance under the ESG umbrella, including but not limited to:
On 10 July 2023, the European Commission adopted its adequacy decision for the United States.